Thursday, August 27, 2009

Mo' Tomatoes


In my search to find more stuff to do with the surfeit of tomatoes I find myself wallowing in, and inspired by a half loaf of leftover French bread, I recalled a simple but scrumptious appetizer I first tasted when we visited Italy a few years ago and have enjoyed since in some of the better Italian eateries. Bruschetta (pronounced broo-skeh-tuh) are, (It's always plural. I guess you'd never order one "Bruschetti."), delicious little morsels of toasted bread topped with what amounts to an Italian tomato salsa. I looked on-line for a good recipe, one for which I had all the necessary ingredients on hand, and, not coming up with exactly what I was looking for, I took a bit of this one, and a bit of that one, and created a version that I think is just about the bomb.

I used three different colored heirloom tomato varieties, (Green Zebra, Kellogg's Breakfast, and Brandywine), because that's what I had on hand, and it does make for a beautiful presentation with the green, yellow and red tomatoes bathed in olive oil and sprinkled with little white flecks of garlic and onion. However, I'm quite sure it would be almost as good with any fresh tomatoes.

As for the bread, if you can buy it the day before so it's slightly stale it's best and easier to slice but, if not, no worries. (BTW, Bruschetta actually refers to the bread itself, which can theoretically be topped with anything, or nothing at all, and still be called Bruschetta.) Some purists brush the bread with olive oil before toasting, but I prefer a quick spritz of I Can't Believe It's Not Better spray. (It's less messy and less fattening, and has quickly a staple in my kitchen for all kinds of stuff. You'll like it!)



HEIRLOOM TOMATO BRUSCHETTA

4 large tomatoes, assorted heirloom varieties, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
2 cloves garlic, minced (or put through a garlic press)
4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

1 French baguette bread loaf
Margarine spray or olive oil for bread

Combine tomatoes, cilantro, onion, garlic, basil, olive oil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours to combine flavors.

Cut baguette on the diagonal into 1/4 inch slices. Brush each side lightly with olive oil or spray with margarine spray (preferred). Place on large baking sheet (lined with tinfoil to minimize clean-up) and toast in oven, turning once, until lightly brown on both sides.

Serve tomato mixture on toasted baguette slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment